The Political Economy of European Integration
Prof. Rosella Nicolini
1. Geography & History of European Union (EU) (slides).
2. Institutions and budget: EU laws and legitimacy in EU decision making.(slides).
3. Basic macroeconomics tools: open economics, tariffs and import protections. Case study: The Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) (slides I ) (slides II)
4. State aid: competition, mergers and antitrust policies. Case study: Microsoft. (slides)
5. Growth effects and factor market integration (slides)
6. The effects of integration: labor integration (slides I)(slides II)
7. Labor productivity: Europe vs. US (slides)
8. European migration flows 1950-2000 (slides)
9. European imbalances: core-periphery structure. The EU regional policies (slides)
10. The spatial distribution of activities across the European Union (slides)
11. Regional imbalances and convergence process (slides)
12. The effects of integration: capital integration (slides)
13. Monetary integration: history, choice of an exchange regime (slides)
14. The European Monetary System (slides)
Problem sets :
Problem set 2 (due on February 29th 2012)
Problem set 3 (due on March 26th 2012)
EU Commission Documents
Daly, M. (2006): “EU Social Policy after Lisbon”, Journal of Common Market Studies, vol.44(3), pp.461-481,
Bruegel (2008): “Coming of age: report on the Euro Area”,
ECB (2004): “The monetary policy of the ECB”.
Paul Krugman: Nobel Lecture 2008 (Copyright©The Nobel Fundation 2008)
" Can Europe Be Saved ?" by P. Krugman (The New York Times, Jan 12th 2011)
Last Update: December 04th 2011.